Here are the things I need to fix over the next 6 months – to achieve “datsusara” – or, in Japanese, and end to the salaryman’s lifestyle. Arranged in order of priority – I’ll be regularly posting on techniques, progress and outcomes – until the big day!
- Family – many areas of focus and involvement to start concentrating on, including my wife. Started
- Debt needs to be reduced, significantly, as without a day job, loans are harder to get and repay. Started
- Physical location – needs to obviously improve, to recover the over 3 hours of commuting I do each day. Started
- Relationship network – needs to continue to ramp up, for new business opportunities, possible partners/employees, charge-back to previous projects, etc. Started
- The new business – obviously, is what will carry me and my family through after the breakaway. This includes new skills, certifications as necessary, information about running your own business, etc. Started
- The “transition job” needs to happen, to start the breakaway – this job should give me more time and flexibility to help the transition…this includes ditching the “tethers” that prohibit flexible Internet collaboration – i.e. computers and applications tied to the company Intranet (and only accessible there), so many security badges for building access, etc. Also, it’s an opportunity to start working and learning within a discipline that’s a little closer to my target one. Started
- Personal/Wardrobe – needs to be refreshed, as more of my time is anticipated to be spent interacting with new clients, contacts – plus so many years in this downtown commute has seriously taken a toll on health and weight. Started